Duty station: Naryn, Kyrgyz Republic
Deadline: 30 July 2017
The University of Central Asia (UCA) is a private (not for profit), secular University whose charter has been signed by the Presidents of Tajikistan, the Kyrgyz Republic, Kazakhstan, and His Highness the Aga Khan, ratified by the parliaments of the founding states and registered with the United Nations. UCA is the first internationally chartered university in the world. UCA’s mission is to foster the socio-economic development of Central Asia, particularly its mountain societies, while helping the peoples of the region preserve and draw upon their rich cultural heritages as assets for the future.
Summary of Position and Key Responsibilities
The University of Central Asia is seeking a Cook/Baker, who will undertake and supervise the preparation of food, dessert, pastries, baking, confectionery and decoration for students and staff including official and private functions, by effective utilisation of material and human resources available in the kitchen and ensuring cost effective operations and the highest standards of products and maintain hygiene in the kitchen and responsible to rotate the stock properly and maintain the required bakery related paper work. Responsible to report food safety & other complaints/ problems to immediate / duty supervisor.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
· Cook food according to menus, special dietary or nutritional restrictions, and numbers of portions to be served;
· Apportion and serve food to students, employees, or visitors;
· Direct activities of kitchen helpers who assist in preparing and serving meals;
· Determine meal prices, based on calculations of ingredient prices;
· Plan menus that are varied, nutritionally balanced, and appetising, taking advantage of foods in season and local availability;
· Requisition food supplies, kitchen equipment, and appliances, based on estimates of future needs;
· Clean, cut, and cook meat, fish, or poultry;
· Clean and inspect galley equipment, kitchen appliances, and work areas to ensure cleanliness and functional operation;
· Maintain food, beverage, or equipment inventories; and
· Monitor menus and spending to ensure that meals are prepared economically.
· Responsible to produce daily as well as next day requirements of the cycle menu or any special events requirements as directed by supervisor.
· Prepare pudding, gelatins, desserts both National and Continental, stewed and baked fruits, pies, cake, French pastries, icings, custards, fondants and various fillings used in the above desserts as per the requirements or when requested.
· Prepare sugar paste or icing, cream mixtures, fondants or meringue required in decorating or in the formation of special models used in the cakes and pastries.
· Bake bread, rolls, biscuits and muffins as scheduled or as assigned by the immediate supervisor.
· Make and decorate cakes with icing and suitable paste making flowers and writes on cakes when required or as specified.
· Maintain the cleaning of cooking equipment, utensils, fridges/walk-in fridges and bakery areas.
· Ensure good quality of all bakery products related to students and staff or official functions.
· Maintain related documentation and stock rotation of the items stored in fridges/freezer as assigned by supervisor.
· Responsible for the safety and hygienic condition of the bakery products and immediately report of damages/wastes and theft to supervisor.
· Provide training to the working staff as directed by the supervisor.
· Ensure work stations and baking equipment are clean as per “clean as you go” principle for self and others.
Required Qualifications and Experience
· Training in catering and cookery from a regional institution with 4-6 years institutional food service experience from public dinning;
· Knowledge of menus, recipes and preparation terminology;
· Knowledge of quantity cooking techniques and methods;
· Knowledge of principles of food safety and sanitation;
· Ability to use kitchen utensils and equipment;
· Ability to work in and supervise a team; and
· Respectful attitude towards superior and colleagues;How to ApplyOnly shortlisted candidates will be contacted.